Daniel Erlander has written and illustrated books that have resonated with Lutherans for decades. Their visual appeal, theological content, and inviting tone welcome each reader into moments of delight, discovery, and the underlying assurance of God’s deep and everlasting love for us.
Explore Daniel Erlander’s unique vision of the Lutheran faith as a way of teaching, worshiping, and living. This rich, compelling book has guided generations interested in enriching their faith in a meaningful way. 28 pages.
An extensive retelling of the Bible, focusing on God’s grace and never-ending love for humanity in the classic Erlander style. 100 pages.
Illuminating videos that accompany study of Daniel Erlander’s Manna and Mercy. Videos created by South African pastor and justice activist Alan Storey.
Covers the origin of baptism, baptism in the New Testament, infant baptism, Luther’s teaching, and the baptism service. Excellent for a baptismal gift, classes on baptism, or personal reflection. 36 pages.
A beloved story of Jesus welcoming you to his special meal of Holy Communion. This book is designed for children, parents, and teachers. 20 pages.
An appealing, illustrated book for youth or adults preparing for baptism. Provides a great foundation for adult classes on baptism and for individual study and reflection. 40 pages.
An engaging collection of short stories from Daniel Erlander about how we don’t need to accumulate points in life. Inspired by an original story by Anne Herbert. 28 pages.
A compelling collection of almost 200 illustrations representing more than three decades of work. Rich with wit, whimsy, and wisdom. 120 pages.
- Born in Cheyenne, WY in 1938, married to Karen O. Erlander
- Raised in a Lutheran parsonage in Moline, IL & La Crescenta, CA
- BA, major in art, 1962, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA
- M Div. 1966, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, IL
- Ordained into the Lutheran Church in America, 1966, La Crescenta, CA
- DD, Trinity Lutheran Seminary, 1998, Columbus, OH
Service to the church
- Assistant Pastor, Bethlehem Lutheran Church, St. Charles, IL 1966-70
- Pastor, Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church, Spring Valley, CA 1970-75
- Associate Pastor, St. Paul Lutheran Church, Albuquerque, NM 1975-1982
- Village Pastor, Holden Village, Chelan, WA 1979-80 (one year leave from the parish)
- Resource Center Director and Teacher in Residence, Holden Village, Chelan, WA 1982-85
- Theologian in Residence, Lutheran Institute for Theological Education,
Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA 1985-86
- Campus Pastor, Pacific Lutheran University, Tacoma, WA 1986-1994
- Pastor, Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, WA (Whidbey Island) 1995-1998
- Pastor in Residence, Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago, IL January 1999
- Teaching Pastor (retired), Trinity Lutheran Church, Freeland, WA 1999-2004
- Teaching Pastor (retired), Immanuel Lutheran Church, Seattle, WA 2004-2010
Emphasis on joy in ministry, adult education, the arts, liturgical renewal,
Biblical studies, Lutheran identity, social issues, peace and nonviolence
2006 Distinguished Alumni “Faithful Servant” Award,
Lutheran School of Theology, Chicago, IL